A senior software developer with decades of experience in Python, Ruby, Java, online payments processing, scientific computation, image processing, mapping, and databases. Expert in Web applications.
Skills and Qualifications
- Internet Technologies:
- Database Systems:
- Mysql, Postgres, SQLite .
- Programming Languages:
- Computational Mathematics:
- Time-dependent partial differential equations, scheduling, solution of sparse linear systems, search heuristics, valuation of financial derivative instruments.
Selected Professional Experience
- Senior Software Developer, The Buckmaster Institute, Inc. Vancouver (2006 – present)
Various web applications, based on Ruby on Rails. Online payment processing, cryptography, social media, mathematics, mapping, online games, machine learning.
- Team Lead & Analyst, SITA INC Canada, Inc., Vancouver (2001 – 2006)
The Vancouver office of SITA produces a range of software products for fare management within the airline industry. I was responsible for WebLogic/Oracle/Swing based 3-tier J2EE applications and MQSeries systems for importing external feeds. Full product life-cycle, from functional specification, implementation and unit testing/QA, to production deployment and support. Code refactoring. HTTP servlets to synchronize databases via XML. Mentoring of junior developers.
- Senior Analyst & Software Developer, Applied Financial Technology, San Francisco (2000 – 2001)
Applied Financial Technology offers a suite of mortgage prepayments and option pricing models to the financial industry. As part of the software team, I improved the existing core (C++) libraries. I created a state-of-the-art computation server based on Java Swing, RMI and JNI including a graphical user interface. Ported AFT’s Windows/Solaris based libraries to the Linux platform.
- Internet Consultant, Advertain.com, Vancouver & MITACS, Vancouver, (1999-2000)
- Advertain.com is a portal which connects users with advertisers promotional internet games. I developed advertain.com’s user tracking management system and the online voting facility. I wrote the Perl CGI scripts and SQL database interface.
- MITACS is the Canadian Centre of Excellence in the mathematical sciences. I created the website for the MITACS 2000 Annual General Meeting from content delivered by MITACS headquarters. I designed the necessary graphics and wrote CGI scripts for attendee’s registration.
- Optimization Consultant & Developer, School of Computing Science, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, (1996-1997, 1999-2000)
- The Optimization Group of the School of Computing Science provides the Vancouver International Film Festival with a scheduling system. I developed scheduling algorithms to generate the midday schedules and to be able to quickly perform last-minute changes to the schedule. I implemented these in Visual C++ and created a user-friendly interface in Visual Basic.
- The School of Computing Science also collaborates with Stemsoft Software. Stemsoft is interested in providing a scheduling system for health facilities staff. I delivered Functional Analysis and Project Analysis documents. I developed a scheduling algorithm and implemented the search heuristics in C++.
- Mathematical Software Developer, Centre for Experimental and Constructive Mathematics, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby & Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, (1996, 1997 – 1999)
- The CECM is a mathematical research centre which heavily uses modern computer resources. I designed a method to estimate the run-time of a procedure symbolically in terms of its numerical parameters and implemented it in the programming language Maple for Maple procedures. I wrote basic parser functions for translating Maple programs into C and FORTRAN. I improved a graphical user interface for SGI workstations based on the Forms and XForms libraries (in C) and adapted it to the WWW (using CGI scripts)
- Prof. Lionel Harrison worked extensively on biological growth processes. One of his ambitions was to develop a 3D mathematical model for the growth of Micrasterias algae. He completed work on the 2D model. For the 3D case I devised and implemented a numerical method for solving reaction-diffusion equations on arbitrary surfaces (in C). I refined earlier methods to model surface growth, and wrote customized 2D and 3D-display routines for producing images in Postscript and on a Silicon Graphics workstation.
- Embedded Software Engineer Gesellschaft fur Automation und Datentechnik (GAD), Heidelberg, Germany & Embedded Spaces Inc., Vancouver (1991, 1997)
Both GAD and Embedded Spaces specialize in embedded systems and software development.
- I developed an emulation of an IBM 3279 terminal in collaboration with the hardware team. I programmed the interface with a UART M68652 MPCC in 68000-Assembler and the higher levels of the communication protocol in C.
- I implemented, according to Embedded Spaces’ specifications and coding standard, low-level data access functions for a real-time database application, and a parser for translating database definition files into internal representation from which C-code is generated. (All programs in C)
- Ph.D. 1995, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada
- Diplom Informatiker (equiv, M.Sc.) 1991, Department of Computing Science, Universitat Karlsruhe (TH), Karlsruhe, Germany
- Mathematik Vordiplom (equiv, B.Sc.) 1989, Department of Mathematics, Universitat Karlsruhe (TH), Karlsruhe, Germany
- Informatik Vordiplom (equiv, B.Sc.) 1988, Department of Computing Science, Universitat Karlsruhe (TH), Karlsruhe, Germany
- Enumerations, Countable Structures and Turing Degrees, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, July 1998.
- On recursive enumerability with finite repetitions, Journal of Symbolic Logic, Volume 64, Number 3, 1999.
- thrackle.org, a website dedicated to John Conway’s challenging thrackle problem.
- Traffic Life: Passionate Tales and Exit Strategies, Vancouver, 2004. A book about/against car culture.
Mathematical journal articles are available at http://stephan.sugarmotor.org/publications
- BC Ferries Advisory Committee for Hornby Island, 2021-present, Member
- Britannia Community Centre, Warming Centre Volunteer, Event Volunteer, Income Tax Clinic, since 2018
- Wikipedia, 2006-present, Contributor
- East-End Food Coop, Vancouver, 1999-2004, Director, Finance Committee Chair, Internet Committee Chair
- CCEC Credit Union, Vancouver, 1999-2000, Credit Committee Member
- IPv6 Certification by Hurrican Electric, Rank Sage.
- Standard First Aid, CPR-C, AED
- Certified HAM radio operator (Basic with Honours). Call sign VA7WSK.
- FOODSAFE Level 1 and Level 2.
- Serving It Right
- Trumpet, Big Bone Brass Band.
- Artist in Residence, February 2018, The WISE Club.
- Creates nutritional information labels for black holes.
Available on request.